Killing fleas with borax powder is a popular method when it comes to flea control. But, we should not use it blindly.
It works as an insecticide, and therefore it’s toxic. Using it without precautions can be harmful to your family & pets.
However, if you are facing a small infestation in your house, then you can successfully do flea treatment with borax. 20 mule team borax is the most popular brand.
Today, in this article, you’ll get to know about how to use this home remedy against these insects.
How to Use Borax to Eliminate Fleas
- Vacuum properly the places where you want to use borax like carpets.
- Now, sprinkle the borax on the heavy infestation areas.
- Leave it to settle down for at least 6 to 8 hours.
- Now, vacuum the carpets and the areas where you sprinkled it.
- Dispose of the debris out of your house, because some fleas & larvae may be alive.
Note: Do not use it on the pets for killing fleas. It can be harmful.
Precautions when using Borax as Flea Killer
This is a great home remedy, but you should take precautions when using this home remedy.
- It should be kept away from the moisture, otherwise, it’ll be ineffective.
- If you use it on the wet carpets, then they can get damaged with it.
- Pregnant ladies must stay away from this home remedy; it can be harmful to them.
- Do not use it directly on the pets.
- Borax is toxic; therefore it should not be used near plants.
- It should be kept away from the reach of children & pets. Ingesting it can cause health issues and skin allergies.
Can Borax alone eliminate flea infestation?
It is found that borax is very effective in killing fleas. It’s non-toxic to the human skin, but when fleas come in contact with it, they get dehydrated from inside.
Borax can be used to eliminate a small infestation from your house. As it is able to kill termites & their larvae, but it’s not an effective solution for their eggs. So, using it will not guarantee you that there will be no fleas in your home.
So, it works on adult fleas & on larvae, but not effective on their eggs.
For the complete elimination, you may need to use foggers to kill fleas. These are effective & fast.
Using borax for fleas is a great home remedy because it kills them, and it doesn’t cost much. It’s affordable. Along with that, you can also use borax for killing termites in your home.
But, you should keep in mind that, using alone may not be able to eliminate the high infestation. And, don’t use it directly on your pets.
Have you used this home remedy in your house? What were the results?