A good fly mask will help you to deal with the flies and the UV sun rays.
To get rid of flies, you can also use a trusted horse fly spray.
But, a fly mask is more appropriate because you’re not going to use any chemicals on your horse.
So, the question is,
What is the best fly mask for horses in 2020?
You can’t just purchase any mask without having the proper knowledge about it. In this article, you’ll reviews of best horse fly masks with UV protection.
So, before buying any random mask, read the next section.
My Favorite Horse Fly Mask
For your horse, I personally recommend Cashel Crusader Mask with Long Nose and Ears. I like this mask because it comes with the ear and nose cover that provides great protection to your horse.
If you don’t want long nose and ears, then Cashel Crusader Standard Fly Mask will be a good choice for you. This mask is also a few dollars cheap than the mask with long nose and ears.
Both the masks are available in various different sizes whether you want for your horse, small or large pony, Arab Horse or any other.
Soft coated Nylon micro-mesh gives comfort as well as it blocks 70% of the UV rays.
These masks provide protection to the eyes also and don’t worry, your horse can clearly see through the mask.
It has patented 3 hole cap design that provides comfort and helps the mask to remain stationary.
When it comes to price, these masks are affordable.
I can assure you that price will not be an issue for you.
And, as I told earlier, if you want the Cashel horse mask with long nose and ears then you’ve to pay a few extra dollars as compared to the one without nose & ear protection.
So, I’ll suggest, you go with the horse fly mask with ears and nose protection because you just have to pay a few extra dollars. But, this will give your horse a lot more comfort.
You can see the price of Cashel Crusader Mask with Long Nose and Ears on Amazon.
You can also check the price & reviews of Cashel Crusader Standard Fly Mask if you want.
Best Fly Mask for Horses in 2020
Cashel Crusader Mask with Long Nose and Ears
This horse face mask is manufactured by Cashel, which is one of the most trusted brands when it comes to fly masks.
It’s one of the best fly masks with nose covers and ears that you can find. It blocks 70% of the sun’s UV rays.
It has a patented 3 hole cap design that gives the comfort, eliminates forelock damage, and whether your horse is in the stall or in the pasture, it will remain stationary.
To make it comfortable, the panels are constructed with the soft-coated nylon micro mesh. It’ll protect the skin, the soft tissues of the eyes, and the forehead from the insects like gnats flies, etc. Therefore, it’s also an eye protection mask for your horse.
It will also protect the ears. The ears of your horse will remain comfortable in the sheaths, which are made of Wickaway, a soft, moisture-wicking material that is light & silent. It allows the full range of movement for the ears along with giving protection against the insect bites.
Another good thing is that you can purchase it in many different sizes according to your horse. Cashel also offers a without nose mask, if you want.
The price is not high, it’s highly affordable. It’s long-lasting, durable, soft & flexible. It’s everything you need for the protection from insects.
This is also a great protection mask, manufactured by the Farnam.
It keeps the debris, dirt, dust, and the flying insects away from your horse’s face & eyes. It gives a full proof protection against the sun’s harmful UV rays, and therefore it’ll prevent many eye injuries.
It’s fly proof, but along with that, it’s also soft and comfortable. Your horse will stay comfortable in it, and it’ll not rub on its eyes.
Another thing which makes it different from other fly masks is that it has double latch closure which is located under the jaw that makes it harder for the other horses to reach.
You can trust its quality, and it’ll work for months without any problem. With this mask on the equine’s face, you will protect him from all the bugs & insects.
Kensington Natural Looking Fly Mask
Kensington Fly Mask provides 90 UV protection and also against debris, and from the biting insects. To protect your horse from all these things, you need this protective mask.
Many times, we face a problem with the fly masks is that it opens up, or displace. With the double locking elastic throat latch, this Kensington Natural mask will stay in the place, and therefore, you don’t have to check it frequently.
Whether your horse is white, or brown, you can get one similar to your coat that will blend with it. It’ll not ruin the look of your favorite equine. Sometimes, when a horse wearing mask comes in contact with others, then the other horses start pulling and biting it because it looks different. The natural color similar to your equine’s coat also gives protection to that situation, because this it works like a camouflage.
There will be no sticking, no abrasive, and it’ll allow 78% air to pass. It’s affordable, and one of the best mask for UV rays & flies.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Horse Fly Mask
- Fly Protection: The fly mask should provide proper protection from flies & other bugs.
- UV Protection: It is important to buy a mask that also gives UV protection.
- Eye Protection: Do you need to protect the eyes? Some fly masks also offer eyecups for the protection of eyes from dust, insects, and UV rays. So, if you want eye protection, buy a mask with eyecups.
- Ear Protection: As compared to eye protection, owners generally purchase masks with ears because fly irritates the horse by getting inside their ears.
- Nose Protection: Long nose masks are also popular because they protect the nose from UV rays and also from flies.
- Material: The material of the mask should be soft and comfortable. It should not irritate the horse; otherwise, your horse will consistently try to get rid of that mask.
- Size: If the size of the mask is not appropriate for your horse, then it’ll not provide the optimum protection.
How to Protect Horse’s Skin from Sunburn
In summers, sunburns in horses are more common than you think. So, you should have proper knowledge about how to protect your horse from the harmful ultraviolet rays and protect our equine from sunburn.
- It is important that we make sure that our horse always has shaded areas to graze and spend time outdoors. To spend many hours in the sun, especially in the hottest hours, is almost a guarantee of sunburns if you have nowhere to protect yourself.
- If our horse spends most of its time on the block it will be protected. But this should not make us trust. Especially in summer, when the sun’s rays hit more intensely, you have to be careful with the animal otherwise, your horse can face sunburn. To spend a lot of time exposed to the sun during the hours close to noon could test your skin.
- There are specific sun creams for horses, although many owners prefer to use normal sun protection products directly (especially those with a high protection factor). If you opt for this option make sure that the cream or lotion does not contain any product or component that may harm the animal or cause a reaction. The idea is to apply the cream on the snout and more sensitive areas half an hour before putting in the sun. And then repeat the application every 2 hours.
- There are also masks for the head and mouth, as well as blankets that can relieve our horse from direct sun exposure in sensitive areas.
- The general treatment for minor burns of an equine is to wash the burned areas with salt water (water with common salt) to remove the crusts and apply a little iodine. Then, once the area is dry, apply a cream or moisturizing lotion. Although it is also usually the use of olive oil for hydration of the skin, given its balsamic properties. In any case, if symptoms of infection occur, it is likely that the veterinarian also prescribes the administration of antibiotics.
- Once we are applying the treatment for the recovery of our equine it is important that we watch closely if it evolves satisfactorily and the burns remit. If this is not the case, it will be necessary to go to the veterinarian again, since the animal could suffer from a case of photosensitization or photosensitivity.
So, with these 2020 fly masks that not only offer protection to eyes, ears, and nose but also protects your pony and horse from ultraviolet radiations.
You can also read this short article that talks about how to protect horses from flies.
I hope that you had found some helpful information in this article.