Raccoons look cute, but they’re destructive.
We don’t want to hurt them, and that’s why we use raccoon repellents.
But, is it possible to repel raccoons without disturbing cats and dogs?
Yes, it’s possible.
In this article, we have reviewed the top raccoon repellents that are safe for cats, dogs, and other pets.
So, let’s get started.
Things to consider before buying a raccoon repellent
A major factor to consider while looking for a raccoon repellent is the extent of trouble caused by the critters. If the raccoon has already inhabited your property, it is very difficult to remove them using just repellants.
For starters, using repellants can only reduce the activity of the raccoons and cannot stop them from coming back. So below is a list of raccoon repellants available commonly.
1. Odor repellant – Being very sensitive to smell, raccoons can be repelled to a small extent using strong odors. Ammonia, being an easy to get item can be a good solution. But constant replacement is required for odor repellants and they can also affect other pets in the property. Intelligent raccoons also cover up the odor and thus odor only works to a very small extent.
2. Taste repellant – Use of hot-tasting items to prevent the critters from invading the property or house can work better than odor. But the need to be sprayed from time to time makes it an expensive method to keep them at bay. It also causes irritation to eyes and nose when coming in contact with the house pets and children, so should be avoided.
So, the things to consider while using repellents are stated below.
1. Use of odor or taste repellants can cause damage or irritation to house pets or other animals in the property.
2. Having small children or adults sensitive to odor can cause big problems while using simple odor remedies.
3. Using mothballs which have very little effect on these critters as a repellant is toxic to the environment and also other pets in the house.
4. Raccoon enticers in the property or house should be reduced first to reduce the activity of the critters by using repellants.
5. Sealing roof and attic properly can be a good way to stop raccoons from entering and habituating the property.
So, thinking about all of the above before getting a repellant for keeping away raccoons is very useful to choose a proper repellant. Do not forget to take a look at the customer reviews of raccoon repellents before purchasing them.
How to repel raccoons but not cats?
Raccoons and cats have a lot of similarities but the difference is that cats can be taken indoors at night. As raccoons are nocturnal, using methods that repel them at night can be helpful.
1. A motion sensor activated sprinkler is a very good method for repelling raccoons and all wild animals from the yard and surrounding areas of the property. Having a timer attached to it can make it even better as it can be switched on late in the evening. So, as soon as it detects the presence of raccoons, it’ll activate and repel them. For that, make sure you do not allow your cats to move in the yard where the motion sensor is present.
2. Installing lights that are activated using infrared sensors can also be a useful method that drives away critters as they are scared of bright light. These lights can also be tweaked to make sounds to scare away wild animals.
3. Removing pet food and water indoors to prevent raccoons from getting attached to the building or house.
4. Sealing dumpsters properly so raccoons cannot open them reduces the chances of them appearing near the property.
Raccoon Repellent Reviews
Hoont Ultrasonic Animal Repeller
This Hoont device repels various rodents like Raccoons, Squirrels, Skunks, Rats, Foxes, Mice, and much more.
It frightens the intruding animals using the combination of Ultrasonic sound and LED Light.
For using it, simply stick it into the ground, and select your desired settings. You’ll get 3 ultrasonic frequency settings, 7 sensitivity settings, and an optional ON/OFF LED Light.
Its motion sensors are able to detect any animal activity from up to 30 ft. After detecting activity, it operates and scares that animal.
There is a solar panel on the top that recharges the batteries (3 AA batteries). This device can also be charged via USB cable (included).
With the help of this ultrasonic raccoon repeller, you can get rid of them without using any pesticides, traps, and results in no dead animals.
It’s made of solid plastic which can withstand years of rain, snow, ice, and wind. The weatherproof and water-resistant design makes it number one choice for the consumers.
With these features, it’s a great electronic raccoon repellent.
This Hoont Pest Repeller is not costly, and you can easily purchase it.
Eliminator Advanced Rodent Pest Repeller
This is a powerful ultrasonic and flashing LED Light rodent repeller.
There are no traps or chemicals used in it, so there will be no mess. Just a rodent free garden.
This raccoon repeller also features a solar panel on its top which recharges its 3 AA batteries. It can also recharged using a USB cable, which is also included in the box.
For installing it on your property, just take it out of the box, and stick it into the garden using the provided metal stake. Then, you’ve to select the desired settings which have 3 Ultrasonic Frequency Settings, 7 Sensitivity Settings, and an optional ON/OFF LED light.
The infrared motion sensor detects the motion and then activates the pest repeller accordingly. To save energy, the motion sensor ensures that the device runs only when required. The motion sensor is able to detect any activity from up to 30 ft.
This device is waterproof, and therefore, it can handle any rainy or winter season.
Due to these features, it becomes one of the top choices of people, and most of them are quite happy after buying it.
Yard Sentinel, manufactured by Aspectek, which is one of the most trusted brands in the Pest Control Appliances.
The Yard Sentinel uses the most advanced repelling technologies available to get rid of these rodents without hurting them. That’s why; it’s most popular electronic raccoon repeller on the market that covers up to 5,000 square feet.
It includes 33-foot extension cord, so that you can place this ultrasonic repellent anywhere you want. It also works on batteries. It’s very easy to install and operate.
It perfectly works against raccoons, ducks, squirrels, skunks, foxes, mice, deer, and much more. Now, you can set it to the Day, Night, or 24-Hour protection for your property.
The Adjustable PIR Infrared Motion Sensor with Night Time Scanner, and the Inaudible High-Pressure Sound Wave makes it the favorite of consumers.
To save Energy, you can also set the product’s time of operation, “24-Hour”, “Day”, & “Night”. The Yard Sentinel offers two repelling technologies – Ultrasonic and Intruder Alarm.
It also offers 3 Selection Technologies: Motion Sensor, Constant (emit constant frequency sound), and Continuous Sweep (Different frequencies at random time intervals).
If we talk about the price, then you need not worry. It’s under your budget.
Rodent Defense Repellent Spray
The Rodent Defense is an ultimate Raccoon Deterrent Spray which can be used for outdoor applications, and in the semi-enclosed areas.
This Raccoon Repellent Spray can be used as a barrier around trash cans, doors, attics, and garden, to repel these rodents.
It’s a safe, & versatile that effectively repels raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, rats, gophers, and more. With this product, you can keep these destructive animals out of your garden without causing them any harm.
The company didn’t use any harmful chemicals. 100% natural ingredients are used in the manufacturing of Rodent Defense, and that’s why it’s safe and doesn’t kill or harm small animals and rodents. But, it repels them. This raccoon repellent is safe for pets. As many people ask, it’ll repel raccoons but not cats.
You can also use Rodent Sherrif, it’s also a good repellent. You can check the rodent sheriff reviews here.
Hoont Powerful Outdoor Water Jet Blaster
Hoont Water Jet Blaster sprays a powerful jet of water, as soon as it detects an animal invading your property. Don’t worry, the jet of water is harmless, and doesn’t cause any injury.
This Animal Repeller Spray scares away animals like, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, birds, etc.
If you use it with proper plan, you can easily repel raccoons without scaring your cats and dogs.
It’s very easy to set up. Just choose the area where you think animals enter in your property, and insert it into the ground with a provided stake, and then connect it to a garden hose.
When the motion sensor detects any movement within the range of up to 30 feet, it sprays a jet of water for approximately 5 seconds resulting rodent free garden with low water consumption.
Don’t worry; it’s 100% Safe for Humans & Pets, and mainly, it’s safe for cats.. It’s the most humane method for repelling raccoons, and other animals without killing or harming them. The jet of water only scares & annoys them.
The Hoont Jet Blaster requires 4 “AA” batteries. Its motion sensor detects animal activity in the range of 30 ft. and in approximately 120°, while the water can be sprayed in 360°.
Another good thing is that, after having so many features, it’s still in your budget.
So, these were the few products which can be used to avoid raccoon presence in your property.
These rodents are also at the very risk of rabies. So, make sure, you know all the rabid raccoon symptoms that will help you to identify.
I hope that after reading these repellent reviews, you can find your perfect raccoon deterrent in 2019.
If you’ve used any of them, or have any experience, then you’re more than welcome to share with us.