This method of killing gophers with chewing gum is not scientifically proven. Some people say that it doesn’t work. Is it a waste of time?
But, there are a lot of people who bet that you can kill gophers & moles with bubble gum. So does juicy fruit gum kill gophers and moles?
The results are mixed. The intestinal blockage resulting from eating the gum will slowly kill a gopher or mole. This is inhumane to say the least.
Can You Get Rid of Gophers With Juicy Fruit Gum?
No, The idea that you can get rid of gophers by using Juicy Fruit gum is a common but largely ineffective home remedy. This method is based on the belief that gophers will consume the gum, which they cannot digest, and it will cause blockages in their digestive system.
While there are anecdotal reports of people trying this approach, there is limited scientific evidence to support its effectiveness.
The reality is that gophers are herbivorous rodents that primarily feed on plant roots, tubers, and vegetation found in their underground tunnels. They do not typically consume gum or other non-natural items.
If you have a gopher problem and wish to control or eliminate them, it’s more effective to use proven methods such as trapping or using specialized gopher control products designed for the purpose. Gopher traps, bait stations, and toxic baits are some of the methods that pest control professionals commonly use.
Does Chewing Gum Kill Gophers?
Gophers do not have the digestive system capable of passing chewing gum through their intestines. Chewing gum is a cruel and unusual method of getting rid of gophers on your property.
You can bury these pieces of gum around your yard and when a gophers discovers it, it will most likely be eaten. The gum will not pass through the digestive tract and will cause a painful blockage that will swell and eventually kill a gopher.
We do not condone this practice and we wish that you consider other options for getting rid of gophers from your property.
How To Kill Gophers and Moles With Juicy Fruit Gum
If you do want to try to use gum to kill gophers try the following;
- First of all, cut many sticks of chewing gum into the pieces of about ½ square inches.
- Now, use a shovel, small hand spade, or any tool to dig into a gopher or mole tunnel. Remove the top layer of the soil, but try not to disturb the rest of the tunnel.
- Place one of the pieces, which we cut earlier, into the hole.
- Now, cover the hole again with dirt, just like before. Make sure, you don’t press too hard because doing so can close up the tunnel.
- Repeat this process wherever you find their tunnels in your property.
How Does Juicy Fruit Gum Kills Moles & Gophers?
They don’t have poison in them. They don’t do any chemical reaction. The reason is slightly different.
Although it’s not scientifically proven, a lot of people believe that when gophers & moles eat it, then chewing gum stuck in their intestines. Therefore, it becomes the last thing which they eat. They get an intestine blockage, and eventually, they die in their burrow.
This method is not guaranteed to work. So, along with that, I recommend that you read about these 15 ways to get rid of gophers.
If it works, then it’s the best solution to get rid of gophers & moles because you’re not using any mole poison pellets or gopher killing traps.
What Are The Risks Using Juicy Fruit Gum To Kill Gophers
Using Juicy Fruit gum to try to kill gophers is not a recommended or effective method of gopher control. While this approach is often considered a home remedy, it carries several risks and drawbacks:
- Ineffectiveness: Gophers are herbivores, primarily feeding on plant roots and vegetation. They do not typically consume gum or other non-natural items, making this method largely ineffective.
- Harm to Wildlife: If gophers do ingest the gum, it may not lead to their immediate death but can cause harm. Gophers may suffer from blockages in their digestive tracts, which can be a slow and painful process.
- Lack of Control: Using gum does not provide a reliable or effective means of controlling the gopher population on your property. Gophers can reproduce rapidly, and the problem is unlikely to be resolved using this method.
- Environmental Concerns: Introducing non-natural substances into the environment, even for pest control purposes, can have unintended consequences and harm other wildlife or ecosystems.
- Humane Considerations: There are more humane and effective methods of gopher control that do not involve causing harm to the animals. This includes trapping, using toxic baits designed for gopher control, or seeking professional assistance.
Is There Anything More Effective Than Gum To Kill Gophers
Yes, there are several more effective methods for controlling gophers than using gum. Gophers are persistent pests, and to address an infestation or prevent further damage, it’s advisable to use proven gopher control techniques. Here are some more effective approaches:
- Trapping: Gopher traps are widely used for effective control. There are various types of gopher traps, including box traps, scissor traps, and plunger traps. Traps should be placed in the gopher’s active tunnels.
- Toxic Baits: There are gopher baits and pellets available that are specifically designed for gopher control. These baits contain toxic substances that can effectively eliminate gophers when used according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fumigation: Fumigants, such as aluminum phosphide, can be used to gas gophers in their burrows. This method is typically employed by pest control professionals due to the safety considerations involved.
- Exclusion: Installing barriers, such as underground fencing or wire mesh, can help prevent gophers from entering specific areas or damaging garden beds.
- Professional Pest Control: If gopher infestations are severe or persistent, it’s often best to consult with a pest control professional who can assess the situation and apply the most suitable and effective control methods.
- Natural Predators: Encouraging natural predators of gophers, such as owls and snakes, can help control gopher populations to some extent.
Alternative Treatments For Gophers and Moles
If it doesn’t work, then try any other home remedy, traps or poison pellets.
If you do not want to use any poison or trap due to safety reasons, then you can try to kill gophers with propane. It is dangerous while using it, but once you’re done. It’s safe to walk anywhere.
I hope this article helped you. If you have any questions or something you want to discuss, feel free to comment here.
Thanks for visiting ThePestManagement.com for the best information to help you to make the pest control process easy, safe & affordable.